Re: NYPD slams Triumphs/exhaust header hA6MAoE9002664

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NYPD slams Triumphs/exhaust header hA6MAoE9002664
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:09:37 -0400
Yeah, that's what I asked the guy at my local welding shop when I showed him
the 1/4 inch hole in the header I took to get fixed.  I think it is a Pace
Setter header; not the original manifold.  There is a tube at the top which
must be the place for the EGR valve, but the thing was blocked off since I got
the car 16 years ago.  Anyway, this tube has a welded connection to the two
center exhaust pipes.  One of the welds had given way and the hole to one pipe
was wide open.  Louder than you could imagine!  I wrote in to the list early
last week, before I found that hole, wondering if I had a blown head gasket.
Not only was there the big hole, but there were several pin holes in the pipes
right at the mounting flange.  The welding guy told me that the heat has
corroded the steel and that any fix he did would last only about a year or so.
So I saved $40 on the fix and shelled out $200 for a new header OF THE SAME
TYPE!  I figured the old one lasted 20 years or so and the installation will be
a lot easier if I keep the same connections to the exhaust pipe that I have
now.  Incidentaly, I have a parts car that was manufactured 2 weeks before my
driver.  It is identical in nearly every way, including the header and the fact
that that header had pin holes in it!

Tim