Fuel Gauge Woes

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Fuel Gauge Woes
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:19:15 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net hA6ELwEA017499
Message text written by Michael Hargreave Mawson
>My fuel gauge in my '77 Spitfire 1500 stopped working the other day, and
I have just been trying to trace the fault.   I am completely confused
by my findings:

With Ignition ON

- Steady 12V across the wires at the sender

- Fluctuating between 0.5V and 5.0V across the two wires at the gauge

Can anyone suggest where on earth I should go from here?   How do I test
the sender?   How can I test the gauge?    HELP!
<

These readings are a bit confusing but here's a quick and easy test: short
out he two wires on the sender and abserve the gauge.  Does it move smartly
toward the F mark?  If so I would suspect the sender.  Disconenct it and
measure the resistance.  If your meter indicates an open circuit (the same
as with the probes connected to nothing) then the sender is probably bad.
Remove it and connect the ohmmeter and move the arm up and down and watch
for resistance readings.  If you get an open circuit over a significant
portion of the range, replace the sender.

If you get no movement at the gauge when you shrot out the wires to the
sender inspect the wiring for opens and poor connections.

Good luck

Dave