RE: Fuel Gauge Woes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Gauge Woes
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 06:08:37 -0800
> My fuel gauge in my '77 Spitfire 1500 stopped working the other day,

In what way ?  Ie, reads full all the time, reads empty all the time, random
value, etc.

> I am completely confused
> by my findings:
>
> With Ignition ON
>
> - Steady 12V across the wires at the sender

I'm puzzled by that as well.  Does a 77 Spit perhaps have a "low fuel"
indicator or something ?  Normally there is only one wire for the gauge, the
circuit is completed to ground through the body of the tank.

> - Fluctuating between 0.5V and 5.0V across the two wires at the gauge

That sounds more or less normal, the fluctuation is the action of the
voltage "stabilizer".

Randall