Re: Mounting Lucas 661 reverse lights on TR4/4A

To: cbohn@sidepipe.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mounting Lucas 661 reverse lights on TR4/4A
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:59:51 EST
In a message dated 11/5/2003 10:45:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cbohn@sidepipe.com writes:

> I've got a pair of Lucas 661 reverse lamps, which were an option for the
> TR4/4A cars....I can't figure how
> these lamps would mount without some kind of special bracket...

The Spare Parts Catalogue lists the complete kit; there are also separate
listings for the lamp, switch, harness, lead, tube (p.v.c.) and lens seating
washer. If there was a bracket in the kit, it apparently wasn't sold
separately.

> Second question:  The wiring diagram for the TR4 shows circuit for the
> optional reverse lamps.  Does anyone know if the wiring is present in the
> car
> (looks like a Green/Brown wire), or does new wire need to be put in?

As suggested above, one would originally either have gotten the wiring in the
complete kit or bought the harness and lead separately. Back then, every
pence counted on the relatively low-volume production of something like the
TR4,
so Triumph didn't usually have wiring for optional extras built into the main
harnesses. Besides, with the various "Lucar" and "bullet" connectors they
used,
it was easy to add in supplementary wiring. ;-)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.