re; weird TR4 noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re; weird TR4 noise
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:07:19 EST
Rich,
If the Triumph factory went through the hassle of installing a counter weight
onto your standard transmission I would reinstall it.
Now, even after decades of automotive engineering progress, many of today's
cars still use drivetrain counter-weights. There must be a good reason.
Removal of your weight might be the cause of your audible vibration.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74 .. replacing my counter-weight with an Overdrive unit!
----
... vibration for a TR4A driveline. Note: I used to have one of those
10-15# weights strapped to the rear of the unit but discarded it as "extra
weight". Was that what that darned thing was for?