Thrust Washers in 4 cyl TR

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Thrust Washers in 4 cyl TR
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:08:08 -0800 (PST)
Dad Blast it!

I guess I should be grateful actually.

So I'm taking the fan / hub / pulley off my TR-4 engine to address the oil leak
around the timing chain cover.  (thus the recent Speedi Sleeve postings)

As I'm tugging on things . . . I feel a bunch of end play on the crankshaft.

What the????

It was kind of late and I couldn't rig up a dial indicator to get a good
reading, but it looks to be in the .030 to .050" neighborhood.

I've heard all the complaints about TR6 thrust washers, hadn't heard anything
about the TR-4.

Don't know what to say . . . I guess I should be glad I found it now rather
than later.  The car runs fantastic.  Great Oil pressure.  The engine was
rebuilt 7 to 10 years ago . .but probably less than 7K miles.  (6 of which came
in the last year)
I hadn't planned on breaking into the engine any time soon. (As evidenced by
the pan full of brand new oil)

So tell me . . do I have to do this repair now?
Is it more critical in the TR6 engine cause the washers can fall out
completely?  Is the TR4 engine susceptible to that?

Yeah I know .. suck it up and do it.
Fred will probably tell me to put in the silicone pan gasket while I'm at it.

Okay . .  I feel better after whining now.

Looks like it might be wet in the AM.
Better go put the top up on the TR6 commuter.

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6 Everyday

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree