RE: Brake Drum Size

To: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Subject: RE: Brake Drum Size
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:35:46 -0500
Cc: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net hA4DcDE9009480
Message text written by Bill & Skip Pugh
>To  quote  from Kastner's new book: "These brakes are cast iron with
an aluminum muff".  I  am  assuming  a  "muff" is  a ring with fins.
He goes on to give the dimensions  required to convert for use  on a
Triumph. (pp 223)
<

I have Kas' book but I haven't read that far.  But I do have a Datsun drum
and it is actually an aluminum drum with a steel insert for the shoe
contact.  This means the drum will corrode to the axle hub (disimilar
metals, you know) and act fragile when you pull too hard with the wheel
puller to get it off.  Ask me how I know.

Dave