TR4A ride height: mufflers scraping (may also apply to other IRS cars)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A ride height: mufflers scraping (may also apply to other IRS cars)
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:46:53 -0800
I've measured the height from ground to the fender lip on my TR4A.  The height
is 26.5 inches all around.  The car looks like it sits right (I run 165R15
tires).  Problem:  Ground clearance.  I have to back up into my garage,
otherwise I scrape the mufflers.  Going into a parking lot with a small dip, I
have to slow to a crawl and gently ease her in.  And just imagine how I wince
when I encounter a speed bump. It's really deleterious to the enjoyment of
real-world, around-town driving.  I have the factory manual, which gives every
dimension except the body ride height...

The TR4A had two different types of exhaust.  The early system had 4 into 2,
through a forward muffler, through a 2 into 1 Y-pipe, back through the
cruciform where it split back into 2 and then out 2 mufflers.  The later
system deleted the front muffler, instead going direct to the 2 into 1 Y-pipe.
The single pipe then went through the cruciform to the back right corner,
where it hooked up with a single transverse muffler, which seems to "tuck up"
into the body better than the dual system.  According to Piggot, Triumph went
to the the later system because it was "rather more efficient."  I think that
Triumph went to it (a similar transverse muffler was used for all subsequent
IRS cars, TR250 -TR6) because it gave more ground clearance.  My question to
the group is, does anyone else have ground clearance issues with the dual
mufflers, and what is your ride height, measuring to the fender lip?  Please
state your tire size, too, since that could affect things.

Thanks!

--Chris