RE: Brake Drum Size

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Drum Size
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:39:47 -0800
> I am  still confused on 9 inch vs 10 inch  brake  drums.  Where was
> the cutoff?  Casper is in the 16000 range, but appears to have 10
> inch  drums.   Right? Wrong?

I don't recall the change point from 10" to 9" offhand, but it was a lot
later than 16000.  TS39781LO originally had 10" drums (but was converted to
9" before I got it).

> Do  the  Datsun Al-Fins  fit?

No, they're 9".  There were original Triumph 10" Alfin drums available from
the factory, but they're scarce as hen's teeth these days (and considerably
more expensive).

The conversion is not all that difficult, but you'll need to change the
backing plates to the 9" version, which means removing the halfshafts
(without having to break the hubs, fortunately), and then resetting the
bearing clearance once the new backing plates are in position.

Note that the Datsun drums don't fit directly even after the conversion to
9" brakes.  The drums still have to be machined to fit.

Randall