Remove surface rust in new gas tank

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Remove surface rust in new gas tank
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:18:30 -0700
Hi Paul,
     Years ago I derusted a very rusty TR3 gas tank. I sealed up the tank
except for the gas filler, poured in muriatic acid (pool cleaner from the
hardware store), duct taped the gas tank shut and rolled it around and
around so the acid washed everything. I did this wearing safety goggles and
acid proof gloves. I also kept a bucket of baking soda and water handy to
neutralize anything that could happen.
     After the acid wash, I drained the acid into a container (made from a
laundry detergent jug) so I could use it again.
     After draining the acid, I rinsed the gas tank out with water, and then
several times after that with lacquer thinner. If you just use water and
leave it in the sun, the whole gas tank turns to rust in a very short time.
The lacquer thinner washes out the water and evaporates quickly.
     After that, I used the MOSS gas tank coating stuff. That was 6 years
ago and the tank still looks good inside.
     Good luck.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, California