Re: Remove surface rust in new gas tank

To: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Remove surface rust in new gas tank
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:36:11 +0100 h8R98HF8018779
From: Paul Willoughby's Home <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>

> Just had a new gas tank made for my TR3.  It's 18 gauge steel.  The welder
> tested it for leaks by filling it with water.  Now, 2 weeks later, I have
> surface rust inside.  Any ideas on what to use to get rid of the rust?

Hi Paul,
    I'm in the UK, so what I can buy here may not necessarily be what's
available where you are. Farmers use special chemicals to remove calcium
buildup in milking equipment. These chemicals are generally referred to here as
Milkstone Removers, the brand I use is Deosan, available over the counter at
any agricultural suppliers. These chemicals have a high content of Phosphoric
Acid, this is also the main component of most proprietary rust killers. It can
be diluted around 1:3 with water and used for total immersion of components for
24 hours or so with excellent results, the components are left with a
protective grey phosphate coating. You could completely fill your tank with a
weak solution, or slosh with a lesser dilution.
    As usual, make sure you take adequate precautions with handling any
chemicals. It's certainly not the worst stuff I've had around the workshop, but
it can burn if splashed on the skin - read the MSDS before using it,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics