Re: Born for TRs.

To: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Born for TRs.
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:02:58 -0400
Cc: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>, "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Paul Brandsema" <pbrandsema@triad.rr.com> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h8PC4YF8027452
Message text written by "Kinderlehrer"
>Ok, what's a bell crank? If I remember correctly, the method that works
best
for me (and I've tried a few) is; 1. Raise the bows but leave the frontmost
and rear most slack. 2. Put the cover over the bows and fasten all the way
around (doesn't require any stretching front to back, it does across the
front and across the back, but not much). 3. Get inside the car and extend
the frontmost bow and lastly the rear most bow.  This way you are using the
leverage of the bows to do the stretching.
<

The TR3 and TR4's (not the 4A's which have a different style top that
carried forward to the TR6) have those over-the-center joints at the point
where the bows are attached to the body imediately aft of the door.  In the
down position the top is lower by about 1/2 inch from where it is when it
is in the up position.  Fitting the top with these in the down position
allows one to affix all the snaps while there is no tension and then using
the (for want of a better term, I call them bell cranks) bell cranks to
raise the bows applying tension to the top.  C'est simple!  One wonders why
this feature was discontinued on later models.

Dave