RE: Swing Spring?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Swing Spring?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:28:20 -0400
Actually, a swing spring Spitfire is a dandy cone runner.  Many use
them, and do just fine with them.  Mine has a stock slightly sagged rear
spring, cut down GT-6 front coils.  I've got nearly zero body roll and
very neutral handling.  With the throttle I can induce oversteer or
understeer as I desire.

The mechanical engineer in me has always looked with skepticism upon
the claim of installing a swing spring in a rotoflex car.  I too have
the competition manual you are talking about.  I've talked about it with
other mechanical engineers, even those with a suspension obsession, and
others who live and breath suspensions.  All see no benefit of a swing
spring retrofit into a rotoflex type (double a-arm essentially)
suspension.  Simple swing axle, yes; but not a rotoflex suspension.

>>> "scotts junk" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com> 09/20/03 02:28PM >>>
Joe.

Thanks for the enlightenment. So what they did was reduce rear roll
stifness, increase it at the front and (probably) produced loads more
understeer, not mention all manner of roll induced front wheel camber
change.

Not the best solution for a cone runner. Unfortunately, in my case the
sow's
ear I'm attempting to make into a silk purse is a Rotoflex Mk III GT6,
so
camber compensator's won't help (all those suggesting psychiatric
counciling
WOULD help can just put a lid on it - it's my obsession, I can do what
want with it!). The manual I referred to was The British Leyland
Competition
Prep Manual for GT6+ (2nd edition) - page 27 F/R suspension for
Street/Solo
Competition.

cheers
Scott

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.
<<<<GWIASIG 0.07>>>>