RE: Swing Spring?

To: "'scotts junk'" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Swing Spring?
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:57:30 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of scotts junk
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 9:08 AM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net; spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Swing Spring?

A question for those with more knowledge of suspension engineering than
myself. How exactly does the swing spring used on the late model Spits
and
GT6 Mk III improve the handling. I've seen in numerous magazine articles

that it lowered the roll center, but from my limited understanding of
swing
axle geometry this appears to be a load of marketing hooey being
parroted by
the writers. Can someone clarify what's really going on.

The reason for the question stems from Kas Kastner's remark in the MK 2
GT6
tuning manual that swapping in a swing spring will improve handling in a

roto flex car. I can't find anyone who has actually done this - anyone
care
to speculate on the theory behind this?

thanks
Scott

Scott,
Now what I am about to write is very controversial and many may not
agree.  But what the hey, I have never been known for holding back.

In my opinion, the swing spring does NOT improve handling.  The only
positive thing it does is help prevent wheel tuck which was a big
problem with early fixed spring Spits, GT6's prior to Rotoflex, Heralds
and Vitesses.  This can be considered an improvement in handling but in
doing the swing spring, Triumph added a lot of body roll and that is
contrary to proper handling.  To help, they increased the stiffness of
the front sway bar.  Kas Kastner's Camber compensator was a much better
fix for the problem since it achieves the desired effect without
contributing to additional body roll.  By the way, I have reproduce Kas'
design and am selling the CCs for all Spits, GT6s Heralds and Vitesses.
The only exceptions are for the rotoflex GT6s where it is not necessary.

On the later Spits and GT6s which have swing springs and long axles, I
have a different kit with a longer spring and link bolts.  But to
install a camber compensator on a car with Swing-spring, you would have
to remove the rocker box and secure the spring to the diff or else
replace with a fixed spring from an earlier application.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Regards,
Joe

P.S. I have not seen the book you mention but I can't see how changing
to a swing spring while keeping the rotoflex will help.  I know that
some of the later books were done by someone else and wonder if that
particular book was indeed written by him.  I'll ask him and let you
know.