Re: TR4 suspension

To: Egbman1@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 suspension
From: Peter Fullam <pfullam@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:37:52 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Earl
TR4 front suspensions have solid lower pivot arms welded into the spring
towers, with gussets at each end. The lower A-arms have to be assembled
in place on the pivot arms, and the caster and camber are not
adjustable. The design was time-consuming to assemble, but has proven
very durable. With the TR4A, Triumph went to an adjustable front
suspension using U-shaped brackets bolted to the frame for the lower
A-arm pivots. These brackets were each held by a single bolt (!)  At
some point they saw the weakness in this and went to a 2 bolt bracket. A
common upgrade on early 4As was to drill a second hole in the brackets
and add another bolt. The strengthening kit cosisted of a set of
 gussets to weld up between the bracket mounting pads and the frame. I
helped a friend with a 4A do this, but it was several years ago and I
don't remember how the gussets went in. This kit does not apply to the
TR4, nor is it needed. I have 195/65ZR15 Yokos on 15x6 Panasports, and
it all works very well indeed.

Cheers
Pete Fullam
CT19207L