In the True Spirit...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: In the True Spirit...
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:06:58 -0700
Fellow  Listers,
        I  have  to  tell  you what happened  to Casper, while
replacing the throwout bearing (hydraulic) I made the  measurements
but it  still did not  seem right so I called Herman van  den Akker
for consulting advice...no answer...this  was Friday...I  agonized
over it till Monday, figuring Herman was out of town  (he  was) and
finally  decided to re-install  the  tranny.  Monday evening Herman
called...I explained the problem and he quickly realized  I had
screwed up (again).
        Folks  this wonderful gentleman, who had just returned  from
a weekend  trip loaded  up Himself  and Helen and  drove  the  300
miles  to Wallace  on Tuesday morning!!!
We  spent the rest of the day "correctly" measuring and re-installing
the  tranny, in the process I  learned a great deal about the  "right
way"  to  do this  job.
        Herman insisted  that   I  install   a stop bolt for the
clutch  pedal,  insisted  that  we  use new  shoulder bolts  for the
U-Joints (local hardware store did not have the correct length so
Herman cut and  dressed  them to fit)...all  in  all  an  amazing
display of knowledge and  skills.
        I  managed  to repay him (a  little) by taking Herman and
Helen  to  our favorite restaurant  in Jackson...naturally they
stayed the  night  here and will be leaving for home  in a  few
hours...
        Now  I  ask  you  is there  ANY  other  vendor/supplier of
parts/whatever,  that  would  even consider such a thing???   I think
not...Hats  off  gentlemen  to one  of the true gentle artists of
our hobby...Herman van den Akker...
--
Bill  Pugh
1957 TR3