Crane Ignition 700 or 3000 and Coil

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crane Ignition 700 or 3000 and Coil
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:13:13 -0600
Ref: 1974 TR6.
I've decided to replace my points with a Crane unit - either a 700 or 3000
and also my coil. I would like to acheive good timing and a strong spark,
partially to eliminate these as  causes of  poor running/missing under load.
Already did the plugs, timing,  sparkplug leads,  unisyn and attempted to
colortune the  Strombergs, but the last one is another challenge to be
revisited (can't get to blue).
- the archives back a few years frequently mention the Lucas Sport coil. Is
this still a good unit to purchase?
- Alternative coil recommendations? Why can't one just use  a  NAPA american
car  coil?
- If I run a Crane 700 do I need to retain the ballast resistor? What about
the 3000?
- if so, doesen't retaining the ballast resistor defeat the advantages of
the high output coil
- therefore  doesen't that leave the Crane 3000 (which I think is needed if
the external ballast is to be bypassed - see question above) and the sport
coil (or equivalent) clearly the best combination for both accurate timing
and strong spark?

Any accompanying observations are also appreciated.

Thanks, Jim Sloan - Calgary AB