Two TR3A Oil Questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Two TR3A Oil Questions
From: "Terry" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:17:55 -0400
I have been researching a discussion on the "friends of Triumph" list, which
seems to be about racing.  There, they had a long discussion on the poor
quality of replacement oil pump shafts for TR's.  Specifically, they cite that
a) the the (vane?) separates from the shaft, and b) the shaft is too soft so
it shows significant wear in a short amount of time or has sheared even under
normal conditions.  List members go on to describe some scary machining
tactics to solve this problem, though one person recommended Ken Gilander's
replacement rebuild kit.  So, question 1, do you recommend the oil pump
rebuild kits available, or is there a better product somewhere?
...Or...yikes...should I take this problem to a machine shop?  ...Or...(he
asks hopefully)...are these oil pump problems pretty much strictly racing
issues at 6K+ RPM's?

My other question seemed simple, and has to do with transmission oils.  List
archives cite Redline MT90 as the transmission/differential oil of choice,
since it has a 4 rather than a 5 rating, and is less caustic to yellow metals.
But I have an overdrive.  It niggles at me that I read somewhere that running
a 4 oil of lower weight, say 30 or 40, was better.  I apologize if you've
dealt with this frequently...I couldn't find it.

Terry Smith
New Hampshire
1960 TR3A TS 58667