Re: Brake Parts (Last time?)

To: "Eduard Tieseler" <etiesele@metrolist.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Parts (Last time?)
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:33:40 +0100 h82LhFdl031534
From: Eduard Tieseler <etiesele@metrolist.net>

> I now need brake parts.  I need at least the master cylinder and would
> like to do all the wheel cylinders.  What is a good company to order the
> brake parts from?  The car is a '66 Herald, I checked V.B. but they want
> about $100 for the master cylinder for a spitfire of the same era.  Is
> that what I should expect to pay?

Hi Eduard,
    I don't know how prices in general compare between the US and UK, but that
master cylinder we would typically sell for about 45 UK Pounds, about $70 on
today's exchange rate. The early Spitfire brake cylinder is what's currently
offered by most suppliers for the disc braked Heralds, though it's not
technically correct - the bore is the same at 5/8" but the Herald cylinder has
a tall thin reservoir whereas the Spitfire has a wider type. Drum braked
Heralds are fitted with a master cylinder identical to that used for the clutch.

> I also need to get the special
> adjusting tool for the Stromberg 150 Carb.  VB has that for about $10.00
> which is no big deal.

I guess your Herald has been re-engined with a 1300 Spitfire unit, the original
1147cc engine would have been equipped with a Solex B30 carburettor, or twin
SUs as an optional extra.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--