Head off (TR3A)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head off (TR3A)
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:54:54 EDT
The source of my poor  compresion in #'s 1 & 3 cylinders appears to be the
exhaust valves. Each were burnt, one of which was cracked. The head came off
rather easily after an overnite soaking in penetrating oil. Two studs (inner)
on
the exhaust side were rather stubborn. The pistons and liners look OK, checked
by running a feeler gauge up and down the liners. There is about a >.005" lip
at the top of each liner, otherwise no apparent anomilies. No noticable play
in the pistons. These are now clamped safely into the block. I think that I
will not be replacing these. BTW, the pistons and liners appear to be 83mm
originals, stamped on each piston was a six digit number and the pistons were
numbered 1 through 4 with the letter "G".

I will be dropping the head off at the machine shop this week. Any
suggestions as to what I should inform the machinist. Any source for unleaded
gas
hardened seat inserts? I expect to replace valve guides, valves, seats, have it
magnafluxed and ground, etc. Any advice?

I would also like to check the shaft (key) which drives the oil pump and
distributer. I've read that a low RPM flutter/rattle occurs when the key is
worn.
This I believe I've noticed when the engine is cold or not been started for a
period of days, but disappears after the engine warms and does not re-occur on
warm starts. Any suggestion on what to do in order to check for this?

TIA for any reply.

Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)