RE: TR 3 Drop Arm Nut

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR 3 Drop Arm Nut
From: "Randall" <ry_nospam@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:56:01 -0700
> This nut is driving me nuts.
>
> I've rebuilt the steering box on this frame off TR3 I'm doing.  I
> thought to
> replace the nut underneath that holds the the drop arm on, with a nyloc so
> allowed (ahem) myself to misplace it.
>
> Hmmm.  Of the two sizes available at local New Hampshire hardware
> stores, a
> 3/4 is too big and a 5/8 is too small.  I can get this from Moss,
> but I feel
> silly going there with a single item order for a nut.  (...But
> apparently not
> too silly to spread the word on the world wide web....)
>
> Anybody know if this is an 11/16ths?  Or could it be a residual
> metric on an
> otherwise US standard car?

Terry, I don't recall the size offhand ... but if it's not 3/4" or 5/8", the
next most likely suspect is one of the Whitworth threads (like BSF perhaps).
There are actually a fair number of oddball threads on the car, my most
recent discovery was that the studs on the small gauges are actually 3BA
(British Associated) rather than the oddball metric size that others have
claimed.  (However, the large gauges do appear to be a non-standard metric
thread.) There are also some NS (National Special) threads, like the shift
knob and the nut that holds the steering wheel.

A fairly reliable indicator of an oddball thread is the part number.  Since
the Pitman arm nut P/N (62FNH) doesn't fit the AANNNN pattern, chances are
it isn't a standard SAE thread.

Randall "NS"