Trans input cover

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trans input cover
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:20:51 -0700
Hi all :

I've always been told, and repeated myself (and done), that you should
always use the shorter TR4A-6 input cover on a transmission that is being
mated with a diaphragm clutch.  However, looking at my car and the
transmission I'm getting ready to install, I cannot see why.  The cover fits
through the clutch fingers with 1/8" to spare, and has almost 1/4" clearance
to the friction plate hub.  I'm using a B&B pressure plate, perhaps the
Laycock is different ?

Anyway, if anyone can explain exactly what the problem is, I'd appreciate
hearing about it ASAP.

TIA
Randall