Proper Overdrive engagement

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Proper Overdrive engagement
From: "Paul Brandsema" <pbrandsema@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:09:38 -0400
I'd like to know whether there is a preferred method for engagement of OD in a
TR4, or any other car with similar OD setup.  I've always just flipped the
control lever on the column to engage.  Sometimes it results in something of a
jolt.  Well recently, and by accident, I engaged the clutch slightly, engaged
OD and then released the clutch.  Now I did not depress the pedal as much as
if I was shifting, but just enough to disengage trans from engine for a
moment.  The result was a very smooth shift into OD.  Of course that may be my
answer.  Even though this might result in a very small amount of wear to the
clutch, am I getting any benefit by not jolting the trans into OD?

thanks,
Paul Brandsema
61 TR4
High Point, NC