RE: Water temp gauge on e-bay

To: <JMcmahon@ICTGROUP.COM>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Water temp gauge on e-bay
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:16:10 -0700 FILETIME=[77867890:01C3554D]
> I need this bad but may be getting ripped currently at $122 ($50
> rebate on a
> good core) and the reserve has not been met yet.

That's not unreasonable, depending of course on what the reserve is
(probably $150).

>   Does anyone know of a
> good, quick turn-around shop that will rebuild my water temp gauge?

I don't know about quick, but here's a very good place :
MO-MA
1321 2nd St NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 766-6661

>  How about the sending unit, should I replace that while doing the gauge?

The "sending unit" is an integral part of the gauge, they cannot be
separated and joined by ordinary mortals.  It will most likely be replaced
as part of the rebuild and then must be installed as a unit.

> How much should I expect to pay?

ISTR the fee to rebuild a mechanical temp gauge is in the region of $120.

Note that both the threads in the thermostat housing, and the hole in the
dash, are fairly standard sizes.  If you are in a hurry (or would rather
spend that $120 on other things), you can buy a substitute mechanical gauge
for about $20 at most auto parts stores.  Won't look like the original of
course, but fits in the same holes and performs the same functions.  After
using it for all these years, I rather like my 270 degree sweep "Suntune"
temp gauge.  It has it's own dash light bulb rather than the side windows,
but it was easy enough to wire the bulb into the dash lights.  Oddly enough,
it's the only gauge that's clearly visible at night <g>

Randall