Re: TR Timing - Road Test Results

To: <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>, "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR Timing - Road Test Results
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:43:09 -0600
John, will the engine run above 3000 RPM while not moving (i.e. not under
load)?  If so, that would rule out the Pertronix and I'm gonna guess its
fuel-related, like a weak fuel pump or weak flow due to clogged fuel filter or
crud in the float bowls.  If you have a fuel pressure gauge (or is it guage)
you should see about 2 lbs pressure give or take.  If pressure is ok, you
might drop one of the float bowls and have a look.

John - 1976 TR6

John wrote:>
At idle everything is fine. Plenty of power pulling away. Tromping on the
accelerator any time puts you back in your seat.

But, at speed (50-60 MPH - 3000 RPM) when slightly pushing down on the
accelerator the engine almost feels like it's braking, or like it's not
getting enough fuel. When you lift off a little the car perks back up and
runs smoothly. It's a hesitation feeling, almost like you're lifting off
the accelerator rather than pushing down. If you push further down it takes
off again. It's kind of annoying and I'd like to fix it.

Before I start monkeying around with everything does this sound like ?
1) timing,  set at 4 deg BTDC at 800 RPM using timing light - it has a
Pertronix ignition
2) fuel/carb adjustment - set using Unisyn and Colortune (slightly rich)
3) dashpot oil - currently 30W
4) carb needles - currently TW (stock) on recently rebuilt HS6's
5) vacuum advance - stock distributor rebuilt by TRF
6) cam - it's stock
7) valves  - set at .010 cold
8) other?