RE: Spit differential

To: "'Tim Gaines'" <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>, <TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spit differential
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:59:48 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Tim Gaines
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 10:12 AM
To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit differential

Yesterday I started to pull off the axle shafts on my Spit so that I
could replace the U-joints.  Well, the U-joints do need replacement, but
the differential also seems to have way too much play in it.  I have one
off of a parts car, but it isn't much better.  My first thought was to
try a rebuild, especially since I could practice on the one from the
parts car (the case is pretty beat up and two of the mounting studs are
broken).  However, in looking at the price of parts, it appears that I
would be saving less than $100 compared to buying a rebuilt one from
Victoria British.  I am leaning toward saving myself the labor even
though I like to learn how to do things like this.  My question is, what
do you folks think about the rebuilds from VB compared to Moss and TRF?
For that matter, what about the quality of the parts if I decide to try
it myself?  I'm not trying to start a thread to bash anyone.  I just
want to know the collective wisdom of the list on quality before I !
spend $650 plus shipping.

Thanks for your advice.

Tim

Tim,
It is normal for Spitfire differentials to have an enormous amount of
play in them.  I'd bet that both of yours are ok.

Joe