RE: cold air intake

To: "'David A. Templeton'" <davidt@opentext.com>, "'scotts junk'" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>, <rotoflex@hotmail.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cold air intake
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:14:31 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of David A. Templeton
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 10:22 AM
To: 'scotts junk'; rotoflex@hotmail.com; Triumphs@autox.team.net

Scott et al,

I am in the process of getting a cold box fabricated for the Spit6.  I
have
found a friend to weld the aluminum box but the problem is the
dimensions
that would allow enough air ( stock air box seemed to not provide enough
),
but not interfere with the bonnet.  My thought that a 3" hose to the
air-filter, this would dictate at least a 3 1/2" square box.  I keep
trying
to remember to measure the distance between the carbs and the inner
fender
wall (procrastination!) .

Skip it, I am going to go and measure now....Be right back :-)

David Templeton
'59 Triumph TR3a
'74 Triumph Spitfire

I used 2, 2" hoses (ducts) on my Spit box and it works well.  The box is
right at the limit of interfering with the bonnet.  In fact, I have to
carefully pull or push (depending on which side I am on) the bonnet away
from the box when closing it.

BTW, I didn't weld the box, I just did a series of bends sealed the
insides with Mastick.  Then I fabricates a flat cover which is secured
with a whole lot of screws inserted into drilled and tapped holes in the
box's flange.

Joe