RE: TR3 Clutch

Subject: RE: TR3 Clutch
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:43:55 -0700 FILETIME=[B25E5540:01C33041]
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> One...I don't plan to be here  40 years from now...

I do ... but that wasn't my point.

> Two...This is a standard part from a well established company

Obviously you're not talking about HVDA Enterprises ... I'm proud to
consider Herman a friend but let's be real.  Have you ever tried buying a
part for a 40-year old Toyota from Toyota ?  I thought the counterman would
die laughing ...

> Three...How long will "original" components be available from Taiwan?

My new TOB says "Made in UK"

> Four...How  often do you replace the "original" throw out bearing??

I just replaced my first one a few years back.  AFAIK the original really
was 40 years old.

> Five...Apparently the "original" clutch stuff doesn't last 40
> years either...

My TR3A was made in 1958 ... I finally did a clutch job around 1998.  Yes,
all those times I've had the tranny out for other reasons, I put back the
original clutch components.  The pressure plate is still original, but I did
get the clutch plate relined.

> Six...It  is NOT a  sin to embrace modern technology to  make  our
> beloved LBCs more reliable.

I have no problem embracing modern technology (witness the alternator,
electric fan, radial tires, halogen lights etc. on my TR3A) ... yet I always
try to be sure it's really an improvement.  Modern cars (Japanese ones
especially) are engineered to have a limited lifetime, and the Japanese
government actively encourages scrapping cars over 4 years old!  Methinks
this does not bode well for the long-term availability of parts for Japanese
cars.

And of course, it's your car, it should please you.  I was just trying to
offer a counter-argument for consideration, and perhaps argue that perhaps
those long-dead engineers at Triumph (and some not so dead?) did have some
idea of what they were doing.  Granted, it was better before the bean
counters took over the company ... which IMO explains a lot of the
shortcomings of the later cars.

Randall - planning to drive my TR3A on my 100th birthday ... if you aim high
you'll never shoot your foot off <g>