RE: off topics

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: off topics
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:36:09 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Paige, Dean
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 8:35 AM
To: 'Jack W. Drews'; triumphs@autox.team.net

I got your list of those who have left this list and I agree totally with
you that it is a subculture of this bigger list. I venture to say that the
majority of the present day listers are not involved in racing and
competition and show to the degree that those on your listing are. I
certainly may be wrong but my experience is that most of us are hobbyists on
a strictly part time basis. Were I involved to the degree that Kas, or you
Uncle Jack, or John Lye et al are I might not be a regular subscriber to
this list either.

Is that what it's really supposed to be about? Just for the purists. I never
knew that. I thought from the beginning that it was a larger community where
those who had knowledge and experience _and the time. Patience and
inclination_ would have a chance to shoot the bull about their cars help
those with less knowledge (the majority) when they could and, just pick up a
new thread if one in particular didn't enchant them. Kind of like in a pub
where a person may tire of one particular group conversation and without
animosity or a "Why are you talking about that?" comment, move to another
spot at the bar and join amicably in another conversation. Or just go home
for the night or day or whatever.

I'm a real easy going guy, get along with most everyone. But, I admit I have
a problem with authority figures. It's my cross to bear. Can I buy you a
stout and pick your brain on "How in the hell do I get used to the TR-6
again after it's been laid up getting a new engine after I've been dirving
in the luxurious lap of a 98 Vanden Plas for the past 8 months? Talk about
culture shock. Right back to the seat of the pants just steppin across the
garage.

Deano