RE: Connecting rods TR6

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Connecting rods TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:42:55 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, "Keith" <biota@bigpond.com> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h56LiOnr023290
Message text written by "Randall Young"
>Just a side comment on this figure ... the stress on the rods is greatly
affected by engine rpm (square law as I recall, but it might be cube) and
the TR6 is a fairly slow-turning engine.  Getting one to be reliable above
5800 rpm is quite tricky, and I've never heard of anyone turning one above
7
grand for any length of time.  The rods may not be the limiting factor (the
crankshaft design is weak), but it's something to take into account if your
Ducati motor turns faster than the stock 5k redline of the TR6 car motor
and
you're trying to compare rod stresses.
<

How different (if any) are these rids from those used in the GT6?  Some
folks tune GT6 motors to turn 7K with good results.  But then it is a
shorter stroke.  Which begs the question "what is the stroke of the
Ducati?" (remember the TR6 has a rather long stroke)

Dave