Happiness is a running TR3 engine!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Happiness is a running TR3 engine!
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:09:04 -0700 (PDT)
Well, after not running for several decades and after
spending considerable time and money, I managed to get
the engine on ol' TS42099L running! Dad was up from
Texas and I decided to see what all was left to get it
fired up. I had everything buttoned up and the engine
cranked over fine, building up to around 80psi.
Distributor was on and fuel was making its way to
carbs (though not very well, I am just funneling fuel
in to a rotary pump). Ran voltage for dist and coil to
a switch and roughly set up distributor. We were
almost out of time at this point, so we just decided
to turn everything on and crank engine a few times to
see what would happen (ie not high expectations). Much
to my surprise, we got a sputter out the first time!
So we choked the carbs by hand (no linkage set up yet)
and tweaked dist a bit and actually got an idle out of
the old girl! So many things could have gone wrong,
but didn't. Needless to say, I'm on cloud nine.

I made a short video at
http://www.soggycat.com/vid/engine_starts.wmv . Poor
resolution and the engine sounds VERY metallic and
distorted, but sounds better in high resolution mode.
General info can be found at
http://www.soggycat.com/tr3engine.htm

Thanks much for those that have helped get me to this
point. Too many names to list... hope you'll be there
for the remainder of this fun project (I might... just
MIGHT be 10% complete at this point)

Richard
'59 TR3