RE: New Tires

Subject: RE: New Tires
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:00:05 -0700
> After about 20-30 minutes of test driving it all around last
> night the front
> tires started to squeal. I don't mean just during turns, but constant
> squealing as you are driving perfectly straight down a
> residential street. I
> boosted the air up to 39 (they max at 44) but it doesn't seem to
> be getting
> any better. Any ideas of what is going on? The squealing feels
> like it gets
> worse sometimes when going down hill, and actually squeal less
> when you are
> turning, but maybe that's just my imagination. When I am not in the car
> there certainly seems to be enough clearance around the tire, and I never
> feel or sense any rubbing even when pulling a very tight u-turn.
> I'm stumped
> about what to do next.

Get a good front end alignment.  Since the caster and camber are nominally
not adjustable, have the shop measure and report them.  Also double check
for looseness in the trunnions, ball joints, etc. (and most likely replace
the upper inner bushings) before having the alignment.

The squealing is most likely because the tires are not running parallel, and
are being forced to scuff sideways.

Randall