RE: seat belts

To: "Peter Arakelian" <PeterAra@MSN.COM>, "Listers" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: seat belts
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@consolidated.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 23:44:42 -0700
This has come up before.  In Dan Poynter's The Parachute Manual he states
that Type I nylon fabric loses 94% of its strength after three weeks
exposure to the summer sun (see chart in section 9.3.1.8.15, first edition).
Of course when you figure that most seat belt webbing is initially rated for
between 3,000 and 8,000 pound break strength it still not a major problem
and webbing is much thicker that Type I (the outer fibers shielding the
inner fibers), but clearly, the safer approach is to replace seat belts and
to do it fairly often.  Certainly well before they become badly sun faded.

Ken Gano