Jeep (was TR2 Front Wings and Archeology, no remaining LBC content)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jeep (was TR2 Front Wings and Archeology, no remaining LBC content)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:48:07 -0700 FILETIME=[608F79B0:01C3217D]
> But wait!. There's More!
>
> The Jeep predates Wiley's, Ford and the U.S Military.
>
> The Jeep is actually a cortoon character from the old Popeye comic strips
> and books, circa 1936. Have a peep at this Jeep
>
> http://members.tripod.com/HoboJeepers/eugene.htm

Ah good, someone else remembers Eugene the Jeep (who's only spoken comment
was "Jeep").  Eugene was a very magical creature, fond of disappearing
before your eyes and only reappearing in the most unexpected places.  He
could also find lost things, see the future, light the way with his nose,
walk through walls, etc.

And the legend I remember is that it was the Jeep's (the military vehicle,
not the cartoon character) uncanny ability to go places where no vehicle had
gone before, and do things not done before, that earned it it's nickname.
Was it "Coal Miner's Daughter" where a serviceman brings home a WW II Jeep
and impresses everyone by climbing a large cinder pile with it ?

Randall