Re: Smokin' TR-6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smokin' TR-6
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:52:35 -0400
On 22 May 2003 at 16:09, Patrick Bitton wrote:

> For some time my car has been spitting white smoke when the engine is
> cold...  I started the car
> this morning and again, a HUGE cloud of white smoke.

Conventional wisdom use to be that white smoke is water, blue smoke
is oil, black smoke is hydrocarbons from insufficiently burned gas.
It's a safe bet that it isn't automatic transmission fluid on a TR6!
My (admittedly less experienced than some others' here) guess is that
you are probably due for a head gasket.  While you're running, the
cylinder pressure keeps water out of the cylinders; when you turn the
engine off, pressure in the cooling system forces water (and
antifreeze) into one or more cylinders.  The strange smell is
probably antifreeze.  Have you checked the compression?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com