Re: Church keys (was :TR2 Front Wings and Archeology, no LBC)

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Church keys (was :TR2 Front Wings and Archeology, no LBC)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:43:42 -0500
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 2:35 PM

> > Once upon a  time, in the Olden Days, Beer Cans (and soda
> > cans) did NOT have pop tops!!
>
> Strange, I don't recall soda ever coming in non-pop-top cans.

Say, you really are young, aren't you?

> Back then it
> was always in bottles, and so the classic "church key" was only for beer.

Nope.  We had canned pop, both in name brands like Coca-Cola, local brands,
and that awful Shasta stuff.  True, bottles were more popular, because in
those days they were returnable.

> Most of them did have a bottle-opener on the other end; but the can end
was
> what made it a church key.

Why?  There were plenty of bottles of beer, too, and they did not twist off.
Of course, then as now, I can open a bottle on a trailer hitch.  Position
the cap edge on the edge of the hitch and heel the other side of the cap
down hard with your hand.

>My folks had no money for such luxuries when I
> was a kid, getting a bottle of "sody pop" on the farm was quite a treat.
>
> Remember when the tabs came off the can ?

Yes.  I remember the Hamm's commercial wherein the "rugged north-woods guy"
was standing in a stream and cracked open a cold can of Hamm's he'd been
storing in the cold water.  They did a close-up of the breast pocket on his
plaid jac-shirt to show him drop in the pop-top and button the pocket.

Don't forget that the injury in the original studio version of
"Margaritaville" is a cut heel from a pop-top.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com