RE: GT6 - Gear changing problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GT6 - Gear changing problem
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:37:02 -0700 FILETIME=[B6AE1240:01C31F28]
> I am having this weird problem with my 67 GT6. If I start the car and try
> and change through the gears (at idle), sometimes it will grate
> and another
> times "all" the gears will select properly. On other occasions,
> even at idle
> it grates through all gears (including reverse). If I drive the car, again
> sometimes I have problems engaging gears, especially second gear (i.e 1-2
> and 3-2). It usually jumps out of 2nd. gear, but the car is drivable if I
> bypass 2nd gear. On other occasions, all gears grate, and the car is
> un-drivable. I changed the gear-oil, and it did not really help. I am
> confused because I thought if the gearbox had a problem, it would be more
> consistent and not intermittent. Does it sound like a clutch adjustment
> problem ? Any other theories ?

Garth, it sounds to me like you have multiple problems.  The grinding in all
gears with the car stopped has to be the input shaft being turned by the
engine : most likely a clutch problem but could also be a bad pilot bearing
or alignment between the gearbox and engine.  But the jumping out of 2nd
gear almost has to be something inside the gearbox.

It should be easy to decide if it could be an adjustment problem : How far
does the clutch pedal move between as far down as you can push it, and where
the car starts to move (with the gearbox in 1st) ?  If it's at least two
inches or so, then the adjustment is not likely the problem.

There are, of course, lots of other clutch problems it could be, but I'll
let others expound on those, as I'm not all that familiar with the GT6
setup.

Randall