GT6 - Gear changing problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 - Gear changing problem
From: "Saddler60" <saddler60@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:52:51 -0400 fep03-mail.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com from [24.192.88.241] using ID <saddler60@rogers.com> at Tue, 20 May 2003 15:51:32 -0400
Hi List,

I am having this weird problem with my 67 GT6. If I start the car and try
and change through the gears (at idle), sometimes it will grate and another
times "all" the gears will select properly. On other occasions, even at idle
it grates through all gears (including reverse). If I drive the car, again
sometimes I have problems engaging gears, especially second gear (i.e 1-2
and 3-2). It usually jumps out of 2nd. gear, but the car is drivable if I
bypass 2nd gear. On other occasions, all gears grate, and the car is
un-drivable. I changed the gear-oil, and it did not really help. I am
confused because I thought if the gearbox had a problem, it would be more
consistent and not intermittent. Does it sound like a clutch adjustment
problem ? Any other theories ?

Thanks in advance.

Garth