TR2 Front Wings and Archeology

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 Front Wings and Archeology
From: "David Gunn" <ccgunn1010@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 22:11:47 -0700 FILETIME=[504F7600:01C31E8E]
Hi List -

I went to the Dixon Show yesterday, and had a great time.  Met a couple of
the "listers", and got some great ideas.  Thanks everyone. (Dave - if you're
curious about who followed you on I-5 to Willows in a green Honda CR-V; that
was me)

When I got home, after I fixed dinner, I went out to the barn with a renewed
interest and desire in getting the front wings off of the "2".  I could look
behind them, and see about 3" of dirt and mud, and figured that, if I was
careful, and had a lab, I could recontruct where this car had been for the
last 49 years!  My, what a sight.  No wonder I had rust spots on the lower
3" of the wing.  I'm surprised they had not rusted out totally.

Anyway, after liberal use of PB Blaster, and a few "french" words, the doors
came off, and finally the wings.  All of the inner contents dropped to the
floor (so much for my archeological research!), including a screwdriver,
wrench, misc nuts, bolts and washers, and a church key.  My guess is that
the DPO was working on the carbs (all were found in the right wing), lost
the tools, got frustrated, opened a beer, drank the beer, got even more
frustrated, and quit; or opened a beer, drank the beer, tried to work on the
carbs, and lost the tools; or worked on the carbs, opened a beer, drank the
beer, forgot about the tools and went for a test drive ; or . . . (your
guess is as good as mine, as I destroyed the archeological evidence)

Any suggestions on what to use on the inner panels to waterproof everything?
  I would really like to not go through this again.  I did find out that
there is supposed to be some type of drainage from that area, but I couldn't
find anything.  Is the water supposed to just leak out through the lower
seams?

On a further comical note - when I started working on the wings, one of the
first things I had to do was to knock off some putty that the DPO had put in
the rear of the wing channels.  I guess he (or she) got tired of losing
things, and just blocked it off - what an interesting concept - if you can't
fix it, just plug it!

Thanks much for all of your help.

David Gunn
TR2 in Chico, CA