Blowen Head water plug

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blowen Head water plug
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 07:59:55 -0400
Hi List!
    I decided to go out for a 'quick ride' in my TR4/A to put more miles
on the rebuilt engine [I now had 186 break-in  miles]. Unfortunately,
the 'quick ride' ended quicker than I wanted it to, by having the rear
head water jacket plug blow out thus causing me to have to pull over to
the side of the road & called a flatbed to carry me home & put the car
to bed in the garage. :-(
    Questions:
1- What could have caused the plug to blow?     Was it climbing the hill
from a rolling start? 1st gear had the RPM's at 2000, shifted to 2nd
gear to finish the short climb to have RPM's extend up to 2500, &
shifted into to 3rd gear. So the engine was warned up to running temp. I
didn't wine out the engine for long periods, I shifted as I would on
flat ground for quick acceleration. In fact, in the pass ride, I had it
on the thruway going 60 MPH @ 3000.
2- How many # of PSI would it take to blow this plug?     I have a 7#
red. cap installed.
3- It looks like the machinist didn't put any sealing compound before
installing the plug is this right?     I know when I installed the Rear
Cam Oil Plug, I put gasket shellac around the hole circumference & the
plug. I waited for it to dry [to a tacky touch], installed plug, used a
1/2" drive socket [1 1/8" :-\  I think] to drive in in flat & compress
the plugs circumference to the inside hole's edge for a tight seal.
4- Could this rear Cam Oil Plug have weaken to the point od going soon,
too?    I haven't noticed any oil leaks.
5- IS IT POSSIBLE TO INSTALL THE NEW WATER PLUG WITHOUT REMOVING THE
HEAD?
-Cosmo Kramer