TR3A gear knob

To: <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: TR3A gear knob
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 10:44:51 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Templeton wrote:
Someone pointed out to me that supposedly as of TS50001 in the TR3a run the
shift knob was changed.  How was it changed?  I thought is was always the
hard rubber "pear"

Inside track info that Piggot wouldn't have - and it's the *real reason.*
Timingwise this is broadly in line with similar changes to other cars in the
Standard-Triumph line-up that shared a similar pear rubber knob - i.e. Eight
and Ten saloon and some early four on the floor change Vanguards. There were
complaints from the UK market allegedly identified as users in the form of
Mrs. Alick Dick, Mrs. Frank Higham and Mrs Lyndon Mills (charming ladies all
of them, among a few other lesser mortals in the form of customers who had
paid for their cars) that the opposite sex were getting a little tired of
having black rubber deposits on their white gloves. Apparantly it was 'awfully
upsetting my dear' to arrive at the nice hices* of friends with a dirty glove.
Hubbies were berated and the 'Change' was to put a hard glaze finish on the
rubber to prevent this occurring.
It just took a little longer for the glaze to wear off before everyone was
back to Square One.
I doubt it affected those mentioned above because their freebie cars would
have been changed by then. In our household, the problem was entirely overcome
and with a touch of class, as Dad had spirited a few Jaguar gear knobs that
were fitted to our fully paid Standard Ten Companion (aka Triumph Wagon) Same
gate pattern, looked a lot better.

* Explanation available if required

Jonmac