RE: TR8 - flooding and fuel in carbon cannisters (stock 1980 with Strom

To: <McGaheyRx@aol.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR8 - flooding and fuel in carbon cannisters (stock 1980 with Strombergs)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 15:56:10 -0700
> > My experience tells me that flooding and fuel in the canisters (I've had
> > this happen, too) is caused either by sinking, sticking or grossly
> > maladjusted floats or by leaking or sticking needle valves.

wsimpson2 forgot crud in the fuel lines, which can block float valves open
and also cause flooding, even with brand new components.  If the soft
line(s) between the fuel filter and the carb hasn't been changed recently,
now is the time to do it.

> Following last flooding episode, i found float (a used replacement) in the
> right carb full of fuel.  Also found fuel in carbon canisters and fuel in
> sump.
> I rebuilt the carbs with NEW floats and needle valves, changed
> oil, drained
> fuel from carbon cannisters and blew air (light pressure) thru them.
> Set idle and mixture - all appeared great. Put air filters back on, car
> would hardly idle - gave up for a day. Next day found car idling a little
> over
> 2000 rpms instead of previous days under 300 or not at all.
> Checked to see
> if i scewed up the autochokes somehow - no apparent problem there. I was
> about to start over on idle and mixture adjustment, but first disconnected
> hose between bottoms of the 2 carbon cannisters and a few ounces fuel
> ran out.
>
> New theories anyone ?

Just a WAG, as I know nothing about TR8 emissions ... but did you check that
both canisters flow air freely from bottom to top ?  There is a screen and
filter in the bottom, that can get clogged and cause problems.  In fact, I
bought a used TR6 canister on eBay recently, that had the bottom screen
almost completely clogged with dirt, carbon particles, and rust.

Also, many years ago on a non-Triumph (Dodge motorhome chassis, Carter
Thermoquad carb), I went through several new floats that failed almost
immediately.  Seems that some "nitro-fill" type floats cannot resist
"reformulated" gasoline.  They seemed fine when they were cold, but when
things got hot under the hood, they would no longer hold back fuel pressure.
Current manufacturers supposedly all use a resistant plastic, but there may
still be some old components on the shelf, which was apparently all I could
find.  After several sessions of black smoke, dying in traffic, fuel
dripping out of the canisters, etc. I special ordered some brass floats that
cured the problem permanently.

> Sure looks to me like  the fuel is getting into the carbon
> cannister first,
> running into the float bowls, overfilling them, then the floats
> are leaking
> then sinking, THEN  the car is flooding  - not the other way round.
> But what the heck would cause THAT ?

Again I don't know the TR8, but on most cars the only other route for fuel
into the canister would be the vent line from the fuel tank.  Worth a check,
I suppose.  If you open the tank cap and suck on the line (with a MityVac or
whatever), you should get only vapor.

Randall