TR8 - flooding and fuel in carbon cannisters (stock 1980 with Strombergs

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR8 - flooding and fuel in carbon cannisters (stock 1980 with Strombergs)
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 18:00:43 EDT
A few of you will have already seen this on the TR8 list.
I'm bringing it here to sort of cast a larger net for answers.
Here we go:

In a message dated 5/8/03 10:28:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wsimpson2@comcast.net writes:

> My experience tells me that flooding and fuel in the canisters (I've had
> this happen, too) is caused either by sinking, sticking or grossly
> maladjusted floats or by leaking or sticking needle valves. If the
> engine floods badly enough, fuel will be pulled from the overflowing
> float bowls into the purge system, filling the canisters, then into the
> crankcase via the purge tube. Does your oil smell of gas or did the
> level mysteriously increase? You've got a flooding problem.
>
> The fix is to check the floats and fit new needle valves. May as well
> rebuild the carbs while you're at it

Here's  what i did and what i find now:  (hang on to your hat)

Following last flooding episode, i found float (a used replacement) in the
right carb full of fuel.  Also found fuel in carbon cannisters and fuel in
sump.
I rebuilt the carbs with NEW floats and needle valves, changed oil, drained
fuel from carbon cannisters and blew air (light pressure) thru them.
Set idle and mixture - all appeared great. Put air filters back on, car
would hardly idle - gave up for a day. Next day found car idling a little
over
2000 rpms instead of previous days under 300 or not at all.  Checked to see
if i scewed up the autochokes somehow - no apparent problem there. I was
about to start over on idle and mixture adjustment, but first disconnected
hose between bottoms of the 2 carbon cannisters and a few ounces fuel
ran out.

New theories anyone ?

Sure looks to me like  the fuel is getting into the carbon cannister first,
running into the float bowls, overfilling them, then the floats are leaking
then sinking, THEN  the car is flooding  - not the other way round.
But what the heck would cause THAT ?

HELP !

I'm gonna go back out to the garage now, drain the carbon cannisters,
then run the car with first one then another hose to and from the
carbon cannister disconnected and try and see which way the fuel
is flowing.
Check with you all later

Thanks
Jack Mc