RE: TR3 transmission problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 transmission problem
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:51:12 -0700 FILETIME=[4461BF60:01C31BF5]
> I've recently aquired a TR3 and am in the process of restoring
> it.  It was a
> basket case,  so I have no idea
> of it's last running status.
> I removed the cover from the transmission, the oil looks clean and all the
> gears look fine. However,
> when I try to shift through the gears, everything seems fine except I am
> unable to get it into second gear.
> The first gear synchro sleeve refuses to move foward into second gear. It
> moves back to first gear just fine.

Does the output turn freely when in neutral, even if you stop the input
shaft with the other hand ?  Have you tried turning it thus when shifting
into 2nd gear ?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes; and you've tried moving the
sleeve directly (not just with the cover and fork); then IMO it's time to
tear it down.  It's been a long time since I've had one apart, but ISTR
there is some difference in how the balls in the hub work between 1st & 2nd
on the crash box.  Might be something has found it's way behind a ball and
won't let the sleeve slide over the hub.  Since 1st gear doesn't have a
synchro, it doesn't need the action of the balls and springs.

Randall