Re: Over my head with valve train noise

To: Rivendell <rupert@journey.com>
Subject: Re: Over my head with valve train noise
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:15:23 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rivendell wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Glad somebody commented!  I'm as nervous as a mother hen about running the
> thing.  Somewhere I read that you can check for spring bind by making sure a
> paperclip fits between the coils at full lift.  Seems crude, but the paperclip
> fits. Any idea on an actual measurement with a feeler gauge?

It would seem to me that a paper clip would be overly thick for checking
coil bind.  As long as you can detect some sort of coil clearance at
full valve opening, I would think that is a good indicator.  If you use
a .010 feeler gauge, (same clearance as your valves have) I would think
that would be enough.

Joe