Romac keys?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Romac keys?
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:32:25 -0400
I'm sure all of you early Trimph owners are familiar with the
"Union"/"Wilmot Breeden" keys that were originally suppied with almost
all British cars up until the 1970's, but has anyone ever heard of
"Romac" keys? I've been told that these were also original on some
  Union stlye locks, and have recently come into some that are marked
with "FPXXX" codes, just like the more familiar Wilmot  Breeden keys.

My attempts to get hold of OEM Wilmot Breeden key blanks has yielded
mixed results, the most curious of which is the assertion by several
sources that these were supplied from the factory precut and stamped
with the code on them, and never (or rarely) as uncut blanks.

This seems born out by my examination of some of the many Union keys
that I've gotten hold of. They have nickel plating over where they were
cut, the implication being that they were cut and then plated.

I'd be interested in any information anyone may have. As my primary goal
in starting an online key business is to provide keys for British cars,
if I find the way to do that is to get hold of precut OEM keys, that's
what I'll do.

--
George Richardson
1957 Triumph TR3 - TS15559L http://www.key-men.com/triumph