Help! Lost Oil Pressure After Replacing Bearings, Thrust Washer s- 74

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help! Lost Oil Pressure After Replacing Bearings, Thrust Washer s- 74 TR6
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:59:30 -0600
I have just finished replacing the connecting rod and main bearings and
thrust washers, got everything back together and turned over the engine with
the coil high tension removed until I got  oil pressure (about 30-40
seconds) . I then started it up and had about 75 or 80 lbs.  for a minute or
so. With the engine  running I then checked underneath for leaks and by the
time I got back to the cockpit the pressure was  down to  about 25 lbs.  and
dropping. I immediately turned it off ,  disconnected the coil again   tried
to turn it over to get pressure by turning the battery over - but gave up
after a few seconds  for fear of damage.  Has this ever happened to anyone?
After removing the distributor  I used a drill and slotted extension to
spin the pump manually but no pressure.
I  don't know what to do next.  I didn't leave anything foreign in the sump
or bottom end. There was a slight drop in idle when the pressure started
dropping but the car ran fine for a couple minutes before that drastic
pressure drop.  Good thing I put lots  of assembly lube on the bearings but
that's now washed away  and I'm afraid to do anything but  spin the pump
manually which doesen't seem to be getting me anywhere.
Is it possible I need a new pump - can they fail catastrophically like that.
It was within spec  and even before replacing bearings I got 70 lbs   cold
and 50 hot cruising.  I removed the sump and pump today and took a look and
all seems OK. I didn't think you could but could I have installed the pump
wrong? It must have engaged the distributor shaft, as I got pressure
initially and I don't think it would even bolt down if it didn't engage
properly.    Could it be  the  new filter or an oil passage  clogged -
wouldn't it just go through the other passages?.  And what would clog it?
Can a new filter be defective? The only other thing I did  on re-assembly
was extend the pump pick up strainer a 1/4 inch or so as it was a little
short vs. the Bentley spec.  I lubed everything including the pump with
assembly lubricant and pre-filled the new  (spin-on) oil filter.  I even
thought maybe not enough oil  was replaced  so that the  pump ran for awhile
and then went dry waiting for  oil to return to the sump but this seems
unlikely as  spinning the pump 1/2 hour later didn't get the pressure back
up.

Also  -when viewing the timing marks   leaning over  the drivers side of the
engine compartment  is  "above TDC"   the numbers above or below   the "0"
mark? My chalk mark has washed away and  I need to  re-set it close when I
re-fit the distributor if I ever get pressure again.

Any  assistance or suggestions are  greatly appreciated.