RE: spark plug gap

To: "Bill Schroder" <bill@kcdoc.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: spark plug gap
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:37:09 -0700
> I just replaced the points/condenser/6 volt coil with an
> electronic ignition
> and 12-volt coil.  Should I change the spark plug gap to something larger
> than the 0.025 specified in the manual?

IMO, 'should' is too strong a word.  Get it running right using the stock
gap, and check the fuel mileage.  Then try opening the gap up by say, .005"
(to .030" total).  Check the fuel mileage again.  If it went up, try going
up by another .005".  But if it didn't go up, try backing off by .002 or so,
and if that doesn't work better, then go back to the old gap.

Note that there seems to be a rash of rotor failures in the last few years,
and opening up the plug gap will increase the stress on the rotor,
increasing the chances of a failure.

Randall