TR3a Cold Start Update

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3a Cold Start Update
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:07:31 -0400
Cc: "Randall Young \(E-mail\)" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "Fred Thomas \(E-mail\)" <vafred@erols.com>
Good evening all,

Well, I took the '3 out for a little run yesterday and following some advice
from some wise listers.  It seems I am still learning the fine touch needed
with this little beauty.  It seems I have been a little overly aggressive
with the choke and causing the motor to flood.  I addition a good trickle
charge was needed on the battery since I had not charged/started the car in
a while due to the missing water pump.

So, I following the advice of pulling the choke out 1" and cranking the
engine for about 5-7 seconds.  Then pushing the choke back in and cranking
again.  4-5 seconds of further cranking and she starts properly.

There are times where I need to read an owner's manual (if I had one :-P) to
properly understand that things are done a certain way because that is the
way they are done. Besides, she is 8 years older than me :-D

Again, huge thanks
David Templeton
'59 Triumph TR3a
'74 Triumph Spitfire