RE: Follow up on starter rebuilt TR3 engine. Link to video!

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Follow up on starter rebuilt TR3 engine. Link to video!
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 12:15:03 -0700
> Could this guy check the resistance of the cables to see if he is not
> getting a good connection?

No easy way to do that, except to check the voltage directly at the starter
terminal (to the starter case) while attempting to crank the engine.  Part
of the issue is, if low current is his problem, it's most likely not the
cables themselves that are at fault, but rather the contact resistance
between the clamps and the various surfaces.  When you connect jumper cables
to old-fashioned battery clamps or to battery posts, the teeth bite into the
soft lead of the clamp or post and the result is a fair amount of contact
surface.  But, they cannot bite into steel, and the result is a tiny contact
area with a higher resistance.  This is the reason that jumper cables don't
work well with side post batteries (unless you have the special clamps
designed to grip the side post terminals).

> I am not sure what the resistance should be but I would think very, very
> low..., like below 1 ohm.

"Below 1 ohm" doesn't begin to cut it.  It needs to be well below 1/100 of
an ohm.

Randall